Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG has today launched a consultation on proposals to stop routinely commissioning any specialist fertility services other than for two specified exceptions. The proposals in this consultation will affect patients registered at a GP practice in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG’s area.
Exceptions to the proposal
Under the proposal, specialist fertility services will no longer be commissioned except for the following two exceptions:
· fertility preservation will be offered to patients undergoing cancer treatment, or who have a disease or a condition requiring medical or surgical treatment, that has a significant likelihood of making them infertile; and
· sperm washing will be provided to men who have a chronic viral infection - primarily HIV and whose female partner does not, where intrauterine insemination is being considered. This is a risk reduction measure to limit the transmission of a serious, pre-existing viral condition such as HIV to the woman and therefore, potentially, her unborn baby.
The proposed new policy would still allow for patients to be referred from their GP to their local hospital for investigation into their infertility. However, once a patient had completed these investigations, the proposed policy would no longer allow for patients requiring IVF treatments then to be referred from the local hospital to the specialist fertility services for treatments funded by the NHS, apart from the exceptions set out above.
It is proposed that patients who have already been referred from secondary care (hospital services) to tertiary care (specialist fertility services) under the existing policy would complete their treatment. If the Governing Body agree to the proposed new policy, it would apply to new referrals from secondary care to tertiary care made from the date of the Governing Body decision.
How to tell us your views
You can give your views in a number of ways:
· Fill in the questionnaire.
· Fill in the paper copy of the questionnaire found in this consultation document and send it FREEPOST to Freepost Plus RSCR-GSGK-XSHK, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG, Lockton House, Clarendon Road, Cambridge CB2 8FH. You do not need a stamp.
· Telephone the Communications and Engagement Team on 01223 725304.
Or you can attend one of the public meetings detailed below and telling us what you think:
· Thursday 11 May 2017: 6-7pm at The Boat House Business Centre, 1 Harbour Square, Wisbech PE13 3BH
· Monday 15 May 2017: 2-3pm and 6-7pm at The Fleet, Fleet Way, Peterborough PE2 8DL
· Monday 22 May 2017: 12.30-1.30pm at Central Library, 7 Lion Yard, Cambridge CB2 3QD
· Thursday 25 May 2017: 6-7pm at The Maltings, Ship Lane, Ely CB7 4BB
· Wednesday 7 June 2017: 6-7pm at The Meadows Community Centre, 1 St Catharine's Rd, Cambridge CB4 3XJ
· Thursday 8 June 2017: 6-7pm at Huntingdon Library, Princes Street, Huntingdon, PE29 3PA
We will also attend other meetings organised by groups who are interested in these proposed changes. If you would like us to attend your meeting please contact us on the number below. Meetings may be subject to change, so please do check back here or contact the Communications and Engagement Team:
Phone: 01223 725304