It is essential that you have the right policies in place so that staff, volunteers and trustees know what to expect.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO WRITE YOUR POLICIES FROM SCRATCH.
A common issue that new groups identify is the need to write their own policies, this is not the case. In fact the best thing to do is to look for templates or to copy the bits from other organisations policies that are relevant to you. Here at CCVS we can help so if you want a policy email us on email@example.com
There are also places you can look online for help.
- There is lots of great information on the ACAS site here
- If you are a member of NCVO then they have some great policies here
- There is a policy checklist, but not many templates, available on the vol resources website
- You can get access to free advice and join discussion groups at the HRNet run by Cranfield Trust here
The LawWorks Not-For-Profits Programme
This provides provides free legal advice and support to small not-for profit organisations who give valuable support to communities across England and Wales.
Last year over 140 cases for not-for-profit organisations were placed with volunteer lawyers through LawWorks and we are keen to make even more charities, community groups and social enterprises aware of the free legal help available.
How it works
Where a not-for-profit organisation needs help with a one-off legal issue, LawWorks matches the organisation with a volunteer lawyer from its network of member law firms and in-house legal teams who can advise on that matter.
Examples of discrete matters volunteers can help with include:
- Drafting a contract,
- Reviewing a lease,
- Updating a constitution/articles, and
- Clarifying rights in a commercial dispute.
Volunteers can advise on property, commercial/contract, tax, IP, insurance, insolvency, data protection, defamation, and company law.
How to apply
Applying for help is simple:
- The organisation can check if it is eligible at the following link: https://www.lawworks.org.uk/legal-advice-not-profits/eligibility-criteria-and-guidance
- If eligible, the online application form can be completed at: (https://www.lawworks.org.uk/legal-advice-not-profits/free-legal-assistance/not-profits-programme-application-form)
- LawWorks will then work with the organisation to gather more information and see how it can help.
More information about the free legal assistance service is available here: https://www.lawworks.org.uk/legal-advice-not-profits/free-legal-assistance