Organisation: Cambridge Cancer Help Centre
Cambridge Cancer Help Centre is an established charity founded in 1986. The Centre offers support to anyone with cancer (or other chronic or life-threatening conditions) together with their families, carers and friends.
We are based in the David Rayner Building, purpose-built for us by the Rayner family and located within the Scotsdales Garden Centre in Shelford, Cambridge.
The atmosphere of the Centre is warm, friendly and informal. Anyone is welcome to drop into the Centre whether for a cup of tea and an informal chat or for something more.
In addition to friendship and support, our offering includes:
- a range of complementary therapies from qualified therapists
- self-management courses, in particular the Macmillan HOPE course and the Expert Patient Programme
- support groups for those with specific cancers
- thriving interest groups including art, craft and yoga groups
- regular social activities
- a well-stocked library of books and pamphlets
Although the Centre offers a range of complementary therapies, we do not provide medical advice or treatment.
The Centre is run by the Centre Management Team led by the Centre Manager and supported by a deputy (both of which are paid positions) together with a team of volunteers.
The team's focus is on ensuring that everyone is warmly welcomed and each member, whether new or old, finds the help and support most appropriate for their needs.
To deliver this, the main responsibilities of the Centre Management Team are:
- managing all aspects of the day-to-day operation of the Centre (including management and development of the team of volunteers)
- developing the Centre in line with the agreed strategy
- promoting the Centre within the wider community
What will you be doing?
We are a small charitable organisation in the process of moving to the next stage of growth and maturity. To support this journey, we are looking for a number of new Trustees to join the current Board to help us develop the Centre to enable us to support more people.
As the leadership team, the Board of Trustees is primarily responsible for:
- setting the Centre's vision and strategy
- driving the transformation necessary to support growth
- overseeing all aspects of the Centre's activity
- supporting the management team in its task of running and developing the Centre
The Board meets monthly together with the Centre Manager. In addition, we hold an offsite meeting annually to review strategy and set goals for the coming year.
What are we looking for?
We would especially welcome individuals who can help us on our transformation journey. In particular, we would be delighted to hear from anyone with:
- a passion for, or interest or experience in, the provision and improvement of care to those suffering from or affected by cancer
- experience, or an understanding of, leadership in a volunteer-based organisation
- the ability to think strategically, take the overview and exercise oversight
- experience of organisational transformation, or specific experience in any of the following areas that we would like to strengthen and develop:
strategy development | financial management | operations | marketing & communications
website & technology | fundraising | legal & regulatory compliance
What difference will you make?
The Centre is hugely valued by all who come whether they are facing cancer themselves or supporting someone with cancer. One of our members summed up their experience in this way: "The Centre has all the qualities that a loving family can offer: acceptance, unconditional love and support .. and fun!"
You will make a huge difference: firstly, by helping us to ensure that the Centre remains on a stable and sustainable footing able to support all who come; and secondly, by helping us to develop our work so that we are able to reach even more people in the community and more widely.
What's in it for the volunteer?
Joining the Board is a great opportunity to be involved in our transformation journey and to apply and develop your skills on the way. Our passion is to develop the Centre so that we can make a difference to more and more people's lives. We think that's an exciting challenge. We'd love you to be a part of it!
Before you apply
Information packs giving further details of the Centre, its governance and operation are available. Please contact email@example.com or telephone 07803 230507.